Sunday, June 1, 2014

May: What I read, What I watched, What I did.

Since I have been leaving rather large gaps between reviews I decided a monthly re-cap wouldn't hurt. Not only does it give me an opportunity to finally start making note of my stats (a la What Red  Read) each month, but it also gives me a platform to talk to you all and rubbish on about whatever it is I have going on at the time.

So let's begin!



BOOKS:

What I Read:

Captain Marvel #1 by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Dexter Soy (illustrator) and Emma Rios (illustrator) (my min-review)
Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi (my review)
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (my review)
Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarksky (illustrator) (review to come)

Book Stats:

25% male / 75% female
75% American / 25% International
25% physical copy / 50% ebook / 25% audiobook
100% fiction
50% graphic novels / 50% novels

Not too shabby for a poor reading month. Granted, I was reading/listening to The Goldfinch for a couple of months all up, so it's almost disingenuous to count it in this months reads when it was mostly done, but eh, what are you gonna do?

For the last week or two I haven't really had the energy to start a new book. When I finish my work for the day, I've felt like a few issues of a comic book are about all I can handle. I just started two new books today though Lamb by Christopher Moore and Psycho by Robert Bloch (audiobook) so hopefully I've managed to put my reading block behind me. Lamb, by the way, is flippin' hilarious. A fantastic book to start the new month's reads with.

MOVIES/TV/SHIZ I WATCH WITH MY PEEPERS:

It's been a kinda big month for movie dates, although I'm sure I'll forget some of them. I went to see Godzilla, X-Men and Bad Neighbours with friends. They all had their good and bad parts. Godzilla deserves some respect for backgrounding the monster fights (there's a particular scene when some army guys are parachuting that's particularly impressive) but they forgot to write actually interesting characters to put in the foreground. I don't have to see 2 giant monsters fight for the entire 2 hours, but the characters actually have to do something if I'm going to watch them instead. Brian Cranston was fab though. X-Men was solid, although there's a lot of "BUT WHY DO THIS INSTEAD OF THAT YOU MEGALOMANIAC" moments which make you shake you head and thank the stars the cast is so attractive (seriously Fassbender, damn SON). Bad Neighbours (called just Neighbours in the states, but you don't have a shitty soap opera to distinguish between) was the crap-coated cherry on a really shitty night,  so I don't feel like I can really say anything. The baby was flippin' great though. Seriously good casting there (and I'm not even lying/joking/being a dick right now).

We had friends over to watch Sinister, which is the Ethan Hawke found footage horror film that just faded into existence. It was a fairly decent film actually, some great scares and the found footage aspect is woven into the story, rather just being a complete fad-grab. I watched Side Effects on Netflix and was disappointed with it, watched Our Idiot Brother on Netflix and yawned a lot and watched half of I Give It A Year on Netflix and felt incredibly insulted. So not a great month for Netflix.

On the other hand, I rewatched the first two seasons of New Girl because I only watched it sporadically the first time around, and while I still have some issues with the show, it's pretty hilarious and has some really great moments. Although I think I'm in the minority who thinks Nick Miller is the least interesting/funny character on the show. I also finally began a Buffy rewatch because it's been 2.5 years since I last went through it and that's FAR TOO LONG.

Egads, look how long this section is. See what I mean when I say I'm favouring TV/film over books at the moment?!

LIFE JUNK:

I'm planning a hens night as we speak and guys, it is hard! I'm not a big fan of the penis straws and sashes, but it's not my hens so I have to somehow toe a line that gives everyone the tacky/silly fun they expect from a hens while not being so atrocious that I want to die. It's sapping my will to live you guys. Nah, in truth I'm excited to get to do this for my friend, but there is definitely a certain amount of AGHHHHHHH to the whole thing.

My house decorating is coming together. I tried to tackle my library/spare room today and got as far as taking all the books and DVDS of the shelf before collapsing on the couch and giving up. The idea of rearranging furniture is far more fun than actually rearranging furniture. But I did manage to shift the shelves ever so slightly, so it wasn't a complete waste of my time.

And I think that's it. I can't really think of anything else to touch on. I wanted to write a bit about misogyny and feminism in the wake of the US shootings last week, but I think I'd just end up yelling in CAPS and crying so I might leave that for a few weeks before even attempting it. I will send you all over to this article at Jezebel though, where Erin Gloria Ryan spent a day in the MRA/PUA chatroom that the man-who-shall-not-be-named frequented and the results are truly chilling. It's not a pleasant read, but it's a handy article to have in your arsenal if anyone tries to suggest that this crime had nothing to do with rampant misogyny and issues of entitlement.

Uhhhhh, what a downer to end on. QUICK KAYLEIGH, THINK OF SOMETHING UPBEAT.

*Tap dances away*


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...