Saturday, May 14, 2011

New Challenge! Books I should have read but haven't

I have a terrible habit of picking up books at book stores, garage sales, library sales and buying them, taking them home and then never getting around to reading them. Whenever I pick up a book to reread, or glance at those unread beauties on my shelf I feel a pang of guilt but I usually just forget about them all over again. Luckily for me Gabe over at GabrielReads has created a challenge that will kick me into gear and start reading through all the books of mine that really should be read.

It begins on June 1st and is open until the end of the year and there are three challenge levels to choose from. Because of my increasing uni workload, movie to book challenge and general reading commitments I'm only going to aim at Casual reader (1 book per month) but hopefully I'll end up closer to Avid Reader (2 books per month), I'll just see how I go.

"The books you choose don't have to be classics, but they do have to be books that you own that you should have read by now. Any of those tomes that are collecting dust on your shelf are free game."

I'm not going to choose classics (although some will be on the list), instead I'm going to select the books that have been sitting on my shelf the longest. So it is more than likely that you'll see;

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe
A Burnt-Out Case by Graham Greene
The Doctor is Sick by Anthony Burgess
The Brothers Karmazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Rabbit Redux by John Updike
Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallade
Huckleberry Finn by Samuel L. Clemens
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The High Window by Raymond Chandler
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Seeing by José Saramago
Lions and Shadows by Christopher Isherwood
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol


There are dozens more on my shelves that I'm yet to read but these are some of the books that I've been meaning to get to for some time now, so any reading I undertake for this challenge will most likely come from this list. If you want to join in this challenge fun for yourself, or just learn a bit more about it head over to GabrielReads right now!


1 comment:

  1. Anna Karenina nearly went on my list for ths challenge too. I want to read it, but it seems so huge and difficult I keep putting it off. I must get enough courage one day, and I'll keep an eye out for your review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...